With increased concern for health, a gluten-free diet is strictly being advised by nutritionists all across the globe. This has made several highly nutritious food items like coconut flour to come in regular usage. Coconut flour is made by crushing the dried meat of the coconut and gives a good baking alternative for a wide range of food items, from cookies to biscuits.
Nutritional Value of Coconut Flour:
1. Free from wheat and gluten
Gluten is a protein which is commonly found in wheat, rye and barley and is also very harmful to a certain group of sensitive people. This makes the consumption of bread and other baked goods difficult for them. But coconut flour is free from gluten, which means that even the most sensitive ones can have baked items freely, as long as the base is of coconut flour. It is being used extensively in bread, cookies and pancakes. The preparation process is however, slightly different so you must go through the recipes before using coconut flour.
2. Rich in fiber
Fiber content of a food is very important as it makes the item insoluble. Coconut flour contains 5 grams of fiber in one tablespoon which can easily be consumed with smoothies and other baked items to match the daily fiber requirements of the human body. It satiates hunger and so, snacking on cookies made from coconut flour is very fulfilling. It also helps those suffering from constipation and helps the bowel movement. With high fiber content, it is also a boon for diabetic patients who can consume more of baked products without a heavy increase in the blood sugar level. Glycemic index of a food is its impact on the blood sugar level. A study report published in 2003 by "British Journal of Nutrition" proves that coconut flour can conveniently substitute for wheat flour in the traditional baked items to bring down the glycemic index to a great extent.
3. High in protein and healthy fats
Protein highly aids cell repair and growth in the body. From a 100-gram serving of coconut flour, one can get 19 grams of protein and about 9 grams of healthy fat. This protein is not very rich in amino acids but is extremely vital for cells and the fats are almost saturated. They can be digested very easily, facilitating metabolism and increasing the antifungal, antiviral and antimicrobial capabilities of the body.
4. Best for Keto Diet
The nutritional content of coconut flour is ideal for a keto diet which has been approved by several nutrition experts. It has a considerable amount of iron and carbohydrates along with protein, fat and fiber which makes a perfect package for the demands of a healthy body. From about 30 grams of coconut flour, one can get 16 grams carbohydrate which is extremely vital for the cholesterol level. It is also rich in ions like that of selenium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
Being the healthy substitute for wheat, people are continuously shifting to coconut flour for baked products. This reduces the side-effects of consuming baked items by nearly 50% and also has several healthy impacts on the functioning of the body.
Major health benefits of coconut flour are as follows:
- Coconut flour is completely safe for consumption for those who complain of inflammation with wheat. Their daily intake of bread or rotis can be compensated with coconut flour.
- Leaky gut can be easily fixed by adding a little amount of coconut flour to your daily meal as it contains various insoluble substances and fastens the bowel movement with solid content.
- It eliminates toxic substances from the body with its electrolytic content.
- The ions present in coconut flour contribute to lowering the blood pressure level when accompanied by the normal intake of salt.
- Coconut flour is also considered to be a natural chelator as it removes all the unnecessary metals from the body.
- Bone and nerve health of the body is maintained by the presence of minerals like calcium, phosphorus and potassium in abundance. All of these can be easily obtained from coconut flour.
- It also contains lysine, an important amino acid which maintains scalp and hair health, resulting in stronger roots and thicker strands.
- Coconut flour is also called the reservoir of vitamins, containing 11 of them. Some of those vitamins are namely, folate, vitamin C, niacin and vitamin B-6. They increase the rate of metabolism in the body and also help in excretion.
- Along with cell growth, tissue growth and repair is also important for the body to remain healthy and it can be strongly boosted by Vitamin C.
- Vitamins found in coconut flour are very beneficial in protecting the body against common diseases like cold and illness to grave diseases like cancer.
- Alongside contributing less to the blood sugar level, it also reduces the risk of falling prey to diabetes.
- Colon cancer can be caused by the microbial actions of bacterial microflora. Only 25% of coconut flour is enough for fighting with these bacteria and protecting the gut from cancer.
- Medium chain fatty acids like Lauric acid is present in coconut flour which destroys the microbes which cause dental cavities, stomach ulcers and various infections in the urinary tract.
- It has an amazing effect on mouth sores and oral infection by maintaining dental health.
In this way, coconut flour can have a positive effect on the functioning of the entire human body and is also a delicious change to our regular food habits. You can try substituting your wheat intake with coconut flour today.